This is a 2 Day / 1 Night tour trekking the Short Inca Trail (Staying in a Hotel) and exploring Machu Picchu Tour.
Trekking the Inca Trail, enjoying the views from the Sun Gate, Sunset views from Machu Picchu, , Tour of Machu Picchu
Tour description and Itinerary.
Day 1: Inca Trail – Sun Gate – Machu Picchu
Walking Distance: 15 km / 8 miles
Elevations: Start 2000m, the highest point is Sun Gate 2720m
You will be picked up from your hotel at 4 a.m. Following, we will go to the train station and leave on the 6:10 a.m. train, from Ollantaytambo. This train ride is 1hr and 45 minutes to Km 104. You will have breakfast before starting the trek. Bring your passport, since this is the very first checkpoint along the Inca Trail.
Chachabamaba, Wiñay Wayna and the Sungate:
After starting the trek we explore Chachabamaba the first Inca site. Your tour guide will give you some background history on this ruin, followed by the three hour climb up to the most famous Inca site along the trail, Wiñay Wayna. At Wiñay Wayna there will be a tour of the Inca site. There is time for exploring, the temples, waterfalls, gardens, storehouses, watchtowers and farming terraces. From here It is only a short walk to the lunch spot to enjoy cold drinks and delicious, fresh food, prepared by our cook, and served buffet-style. After lunch there will be time for relaxation, then we continue the trek for 1hr, a gradual up and downhill hike to get to the Sun Gate, where you will have spectacular views of Machu Picchu, Huayna Picchu and the surrounding valleys. The Sun Gate was used by Incas to observe the sunrise from Machu Picchu during the summer solstice. From here, it is another hour hike down to the Machu Picchu ruins.
Once in Machu Picchu, you can explore the watchtower area where you can get photos of Machu Picchu (without crowds). We’ll then take the 20 minute bus ride to the Hotel.
Hotel and Dinner:
When you arrive at the Hotel you have time to relax, then we will head to Indio Feliz for dinner (included). This restaurant is considered to be the best food in Aguas Calientes.
Machu Picchu Tour and return to Cusco:
Breakfast and Bus:
We wake early and enjoy breakfast. Then we walk to the bus station to be one of the first in line to go up to Machu Picchu (it is optional to take a one hour walk up to the ruins, if you’d like). The first buses will depart at 5:30 am and arrive at 6:00 am to Machu Picchu. You must have your original passport at the checkpoint.
You will have a two hour guided tour by your private English speaking guide. After that, you will have time to explore Machu Picchu by yourself. Those who have tickets to Huayna Picchu will have time to climb the mountain, which takes approximately an hour and a half, round-trip.
Machu Picchu Tour:
Your tour guide will take you to the perfect spot to enjoy the sunrise over the mountains (weather permitting) then you have a two hour, private, guided tour of the Machu Picchu ruins. You’ll also have free time to explore Machu Picchu on your own. If you have booked to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, this is a good time to climb (in the second slot which starts at 10:00 a.m.). Other things to see and do include the Inca Bridge trail walk, the hike up to the Sun Gate again for the morning view, or walk around the temple and residential areas of Machu Picchu to mingle with the llamas.
Return to Aquas Calientes and Cusco:
When you are done exploring, you can either take a bus, or walk, down to Aguas Calientes for a free afternoon before your train which will depart later that afternoon back to Ollantaytambo and then we will drive you back to Cusco.
Included in this Tour:
- Professional Guides: English speaking, Knowledgeable, fun and professional.
- Permits: These permits are for a specific date and in your name. They can’t be changed, once confirmed. The permit includes an entrance to Machu Picchu.
- Briefing: The night before your trek, you will come to our office for your briefing. You will receive your duffel bag that will stay with your porters, while you hike. This bag should not exceed 7 kg/14 lbs.
- Porters: We include a personal porter, who is responsible for carrying your duffel bag. There is no additional fee for this.
- Transportation: All your transportation is included in this trek. You will be picked up directly from your hotel around 4 a.m. (unless you are staying in Ollantaytambo) and brought to KM 104, to begin your trek. The train back from Aguas Calientes is included. This is Expedition class but can be upgraded to the Vistadome train for $75 per person. Once you arrive at the train station, you will be brought back to your hotel in Cusco. Your round-trip bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu is also included.
- Food: The chefs cook delicious meals. We honor all food restrictions. Be sure to remind your tour guide of any food restrictions at the beginning of your trek. Food is typically served family-style. You will enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner each day of the trek, along with a happy hour of tea and snacks. You will also be provided a snack each morning for you to enjoy along the hike. Lunch the last day is not included.
- Water: Beginning from your first lunch until your last breakfast, All water needed will be supplied, this water will be boiled, filtered and then cooled, before distributing. You must supply your own water bottles or camel back. We recommend carrying about 3L worth. We will refill our waters at each meal.
- First Aid: Your tour guide will always have a first-aid kit for basic medical problems (traveler’s diarrhea, cuts, scrapes, etc.) and oxygen. We will get you off the trail as quickly and comfortably as possible, if needed, and ensure you get directly to a clinic for treatment.
- Extras: A day pack cover to protect their things while hiking and a rain poncho. We will work hard to create your best vacation.
- Satellite Phones: We carry Satellite phones. Our top priority is the safety of our clients and our team. While we are prepared and all our guides are trained for most of the issues clients have on the mountain, being a phone call away from any doctor, hospital or friend helps everyone feel assured that they are safe.
- Rentals: Walking sticks (with rubber tips) are optional, but encouraged, they are all available for rent:
- Walking Sticks (Pair): $10
Prices for this 2 Day / 1 Night Short Inca Trail Trek and Machu Picchu Tour (with Hotel): (This is a group tour with one of our Quality Tour Partners)
Per Person 500 USD
(Inca Trail Permits, Machu Picchu Entrance fees, and Train tickets included)
We also have this Tour with a Camping option: Per Person 550 USDBOOK NOW